[Geysers] Dwarfs

Mara Reed mara.reed at me.com
Tue Dec 16 07:30:23 PST 2014

Despite the fact that those vents may be gone soon, would it not be prudent to have some consensus on unofficial names (at least for those vents known to do anything in recent years) so that one can say “such and such Dwarf erupted” in discussion of the area and people actually know which vent it is? If nothing else, there still seems to be confusion as to whether the perpetual spouter vent is called “Red” or “North.” Maybe it stops being perpetual in a few years, maybe it continues its current activity - nobody can know - but it sure makes it easier to discuss when we have a consistent name for it. With all due respect to Lee Whittlesey, I’d also wager it makes it easier to dig up information on a particular feature when the name used is consistent.

Mara Reed