[Geysers] Pink Cone Group--Short Intervals for Bead Geyser

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 26 17:59:50 PDT 2013

Thanks for the report Gordon.

Gordon wrote:  > This past weekend, Bead was averaging 27 minutes, with a range of 24 to 31. This is a sharp contrast to the 31-36 minutes reported on 04 September (and to several years of intervals in the mid-30s every time I have checked on it.) 24 may be the shortest I have seen since I started carrying a logbook. At the same time the durations have gotten *longer*: I had 9 good durations, 2m39s to 2m53s averaging 2m46s, last weekend, compared to the a range of 2m10s-2m50s averaging right around 2m30s the last time I took durations on it (last fall).

Here's some additional information on Bead from September 5 through 10:
I haven't had time to enter observations on smaller geyser from this summer into geysertimes.org.  On September 5 Bead's intervals were bouncing around (I was parked beside Shelf Spring when I took these times):  30, 27, 33, 34, 29, 36, 29, 28
On September 6, again parked by Shelf Spring, I recorded intervals of 27, 35, 34, 28, 32, break, and 26 minutes.
On September 7, again parked by Shelf Spring, intervals were 34, 33, 30, 33, 28, 29, 34, 28, and 29 minutes.
On September 8 I was parked across from Pink Cone and recorded intervals of 34, and 26 minutes, then a double interval of 57 minutes followed by intervals of 31 minutes and another 31 minute interval provided by Byron Taylor. Later in the afternoon I was parked by Shelf Spring and recorded intervals of 32 and 28 minutes.
On the afternoon of September 9 I was parked by Shelf spring and recorded itnervals of 34 minutes, 28 minutes, 30 minutes, 28 minutes, 32 minutes, 27 minutes, 34 minutes, and 28 minutes.
I don't have any data for September 10, but recorded a double interval of 67 minutes, then closed intervals of 37 minutes and 34 minutes on September 11.

On occasions Bead has had days where intervals were consistently 20-24 minutes.  See, for example, my reports "Activity of Selected Geysers--Summer 2007 Season" in the October 2007 issue of The Sput, "Activity of Selected Geysers--Early Summer 2008 Season" in the August 2008 Issue of The Sput, and "Activity of Selected Geysers--Summer 2008 Season" in the October 2008 issue of The Sput.

Gordon also wrote:

> There isn't much information on GeyserTimes for Bead and Pink Cone the early and middle part of September, so we don't know exactly when changes occurred, but the timing is highly suggestive:

I acknowledge I didn't get Bead data entered into Geysertimes, but I made certain my observations of Pink Cone through September 10 were entered into geysertimes.  (Since I didn't have internet access while I was in the Park, I gave the information to other people to enter so it could get there on a somewhat timely basis.)  A review of geysertimes shows entries shows entries for all my observation from August 31 through September 10.  The only observation missing is my observation on September 11 (the last day that I was in the Park) that Pink Cone had completely finished before 0742.  In fact, the road bubbler and the frying pan area were also completely finished, which meant the start time was before 0500.

Lynn Stephens