[Geysers] Blog post about geyser mechanisms

Carlton Cross cross at bmi.net
Mon Sep 9 21:25:46 PDT 2013

Well, I neglected to describe the size of this one.  It's made from 8
in well casing.  The water chamber is 9 ft long with a 2 in exit pipe
that is about 6 ft long.  It holds about 25 gal of water with 6  2 kW
heating elements.  So, this is not a starting point.

Long ago, I wrote some instructions for making a small geyser from a
juice can and some copper tubing, but I can't find them now.  It
requires soldering to seal the exit tube into the can lid.  Pineapple
juice cans last longer because they have a coating to protect from
corrosion.  The exit tube can be 1/4 in or 3/8 in copper about 3 ft
long.  It's also nice to have a funnel on top to catch most of the
erupted water although the eruption will be much higher without a
funnel.  You have to catch the erupted water if you want to get a
true cycle.  Otherwise, you have to refill the system after each eruption.

I think there are other people who have made small models more
recently than I have, so maybe they'll chime in.

Carlton Cross
cross at bmi.net