[Geysers] Blog post about geyser mechanisms

Carlton Cross Carlton.Cross at wallawalla.edu
Sun Sep 8 21:33:08 PDT 2013

What you describe sounds like what I remember.  Jeff may have something to add if my memory needs correction.  (I haven't had time to dig up our old data.)

There are many features of a geyser's plumbing that will affect the frequency of oscillation, the main ones being the combined volume of the bubbles, the mass of the water above the bubbles, and the size and friction of the passage leading to the surface.  Smooth pipes that are cooled by the outside air are not very good models of geyser plumbing, but I think it's interesting that the behavior of the models can be seen in some natural geysers.   I don't remember finding a geyser that displayed the rapid bouncing, but that is no surprise because the friction in a natural geyser tube is much greater than in a smooth pipe and the mass of the moving water is generally greater.  As the friction increases, the frequency of oscillation will decrease; and, as the moving mass increases, the frequency will decrease.  I can't think of any reason why a natural geyser would oscillate faster than the models.

Carlton Cross
cross at bmi.net