[Geysers] Mapping Help

David Schwarz david.schwarz at alumni.duke.edu
Sun Nov 10 18:45:22 PST 2013

I can answer that one, at least based on the first year the project was
taking coordinates for the Firehole Geyser Basins.  The SCA techs that
year, especially early on, were much shyer about getting close to the
features than they needed to be, and no policy had been laid out by project
management on where to take coordinates for large or genuinely
unapproachable features.

As a result, many of the coordinates that year were only taken within
roughly the same long-distance dialing area as the feature being mapped.
Obviously, it doesn't matter how accurately the equipment pinpoints your
location if you're not particularly close to what you're trying to map.

It also wouldn't surprise me if some mislabeling or shuffling happened,
especially in dense areas like Geyser Creek or Geyser Hill.

David Schwarz