[Geysers] Morning Solo eruption 15 May 2013 at 1334

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Wed May 15 18:05:24 PDT 2013

THe following is from Bill Warnock.  He included over 7MB of images
which prevented the post from going through on the list serve.  I'll
shrink the images (which are fabulous) and try to post them later
tonight.  Dave

From:	billwarnock at wyellowstone.com

Report on 15 May eruption of Morning:  After spending a quiet morning at
the Upper Basin, I stopped at the Lower at 1255 and saw that Morning's
pool was high and Fountain was up into the neck as well.  No water was
visible in Morning's Thief.  Super Frying Pan and Spasm were in
eruption, and Jet erupted at 1201.  I went back to my car for my chair
and some books on a beautiful day...65 degrees, light breeze, scattered
clouds.  Jet erupted every 8-10 minutes, and Spasm continued all through
Morning and beyond.  Sub erupted at 1225.  Shortly after 1300, two
gentlemen asked if I was a gazer, and introduced themselves as the Jones
brothers.  They had seen Maureen at Fountain the day before and wanted
to make sure someone was watching the area.  They planned to go on down
to the Upper basin.  I told them to leave their radios on.  Fortunately
they were just within range when I called Morning at 1334.  They got
back in time for the last half.

Previously I had seen water convecting up in Morning, but no boiling.
Suddenly boiling began against the north wall of the crater, the pool
domed, and then the water shot up about 30 feet high.  Within a couple
of minutes there were huge bursts at several angles, some over 100 feet.
Some rocks were thrown out throughout the eruption.  As the eruption
progressed there were many large blue bubbles which exploded into
massive bursts, and I would say heights varied between 30 and 60 feet.
Water was pouring off the back side of the crater and from the front
into Fountain, whose water level rose rapidly, but no eruption.  The
eruption ended at 1359 for a duration of 25 minutes.  Fountain and
Morning drained.  There was no activity at any time in Morning's Thief,
thank goodness.

The very brief Morning solo eruption I saw last winter was only about 30
feet high and lasted less than a minute.  Fountain started a few minutes
later.  I believe I read Marler about "aborted" Morning eruptions, and
thought that might have been one.

Attached are a few photos showing the initial boil and several bursts.
Go Morning!