[Geysers] June 4-9 2013

JOHN WARNOCK johnwarnock at msn.com
Mon Jun 10 09:45:44 PDT 2013

Greetings:

I had quite an eventual 6 days in the park.  The crowning one of course was the Morning/Fountain dual (or is that duel)?  The height and width and power from both geysers was awe-inspiring.  I felt so privileged to have been there to witness it.  I hope you all have the opportunity to see Morning this summer!  Grand is also doing some interesting things.  We had at least 5 single burst eruptions under 10 minutes and two of those were under 8 minutes.  On the 8th-9th there was a 12 hour 10 minute interval that well could have been two eruptions at an average of 6 hours and 5 minutes.  Could it be going back to the pattern we saw in the fall of 2012?

I also want to thank Lynn Stevens and Bill and Carol Beverly for their tireless work on the Morning/Fountain times.  I have no idea how they can get by with so little sleep so the rest of us can have an opportunity to see Morning.  Thank you so much.  Also, I wish you could all have seen Lynn's ear to ear grin after 100th viewing of Morning...it was infectious.  She says she is going to stop counting now (I bet she doesn't).  I would also like to than Jim Scheir for his early morning work in the Upper Basin.  His "morning updates" make it so nice for the rest of us to plan our days around our "favorites".  We should not take that for granted.  Finally a big shout out to Will Boekel and Jake Young for creating GEYSERTIMES.ORG.  What a huge help that has been in giving us the opportunity to see more geysers.  As someone who comes from the "pre-stickynote" era,  I never could have imagined this type of technology.

Finally, I have to thank Janet White and Brother Bill for the time they invested in the 3 day conference put on by the Park Service on the Upper Basin.  Some of the things that came out of that are really exciting.  I am anxious to get a summary copy of their findings; especially the location and sizes of the hot water reservoirs under the Basin.

Thanks for the bed and the advise Brother Bill...both were much appreciated.

John Warnock