[Geysers] The role of geyserite in geyser plumbing (or "Who needs geyserite anyway?")

JEFFREY CROSS jeff.cross at utah.edu
Wed Jul 31 21:38:40 PDT 2013

I've never felt that silica precipitation along the geyser tube was a necessary feature of geysers.

The wall rock, regardless of composition, must be coherent enough to withstand the forces of rapidly moving water.  If it isn't, the walls will collapse inward from cavitation or excavation of loose sand and gravel.

The notion that silica must line the walls of the geyser to form a pressure seal is probably related to the erroneous idea that the pressure builds prior to an eruption.  As you demonstrate in your graphs, this doesn't happen at all.

One thing that gets lost in debates is that the *vapor pressure* of the geyser's water does build prior to the eruption.  When the vapor pressure (which increases with temperature) equals the confining pressure (hydrostatic + atmospheric), then a steam bubble can displace the liquid around it, and any observer would say that the water is now boiling.

Note that Steamboat Geyser, presently the biggest on earth, is also one of the youngest of geysers, having formed just after the Park was established.  How much silica can it have deposited along its tube in the relatively short time after the vent formed and before the first major eruptions happened?

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at utah.edu