[Geysers] Time code

Will Boekel wolveslax65 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 09:33:15 PST 2013

Gazers,

The new code is necessary in my opinion because “0000?” can mean to things when only looking at the top level (in this case the top level is the date, time and codes only). By adding the “A” it will allow us once the search function is revamped in Geysertimes to easily select only the exact time eruptions and so forth in our data pulls. Also this addition would be added to the entry form just as another button in the row with the other codes and everyone will still be encouraged to put comments about the observation as we do now.

So lets take an example, lets say I did a data pull for a geyser and it had 2000 entries and 200+ of them had “0000?”. I doubt many of us would want to read 200+ entries to figure out whether it was an exact time or an overnight time. Then if it was an overnight time, what was the time range or the middle of the time range so I can manually go through the data I just pulled and change the 0000? to the correct time frame.

Also by adding the “A” Geysertimes could then be programed to add a “~” to the interval number based on a simple has “A” or doesn’t have “A” algorithm. This is because the system will never be able to read and comprehend our comments (unless there is some easy magical way that I do not know about).

So in the end the final reason I want to add this is that “0000?” can mean two things at the top level, where as “0000A” can only mean one.

Now comes the questions about me applying this code to the old logs during the transfer project but first I think it will help if I explain the current processes and practices that Lynn has helped me put in place.

So first the process.

First I take the text file from the GOSA site and put it into Excel. This is the simple part.
Next comes the long part. When the text file is imported into Excel thing don’t always go into the right places. For example, two eruptions end up on the same line, data is not in the right column, etc.. . So the big task is moving everything around so it is in the respective column.
During this process I frequently find some weird entries. (Take a look sometime they are pretty confusing or funny) Whenever I hit one of these I flag it and send the entry to Lynn to get conformation or clarification on the entry. Sometimes a entry comes up where it is clear that the time was written in 12 hour format and not in 24 hour. So I always check these with Lynn and if she agrees then it is changed BUT the original text is always listed with a note about the change the same way Lynn did when typing up the logs by using the “[comment]” notation.
Then comes the easy final step, the actual transfer. Once the log is perfect, the Excel file is saved as a csv and then uploaded to Geysertimes.

During this process it is made the top priority not to change entries. I also try and make that clear to my helpers as well. Almost nothing is left out currently  (only thing is some VR entries that have a non VR time also as making sure the VR entry is placed as the secondary is not possible right now.) this includes comments, UNNGs, notes, new geysers, etc..

Now for adding the code.

The reason for adding the “A” in the logs that will be transferred is the same as it will be for the future entries. That reason being clarity. In databases it is best to keep notation the same throughout the entire data. Currently with the notes not being visible in the data retrieve this sort of forces me to change the entry from a note to an eruption that is “0000?”. Again that can mean two things.

Now the question about why we need this now. My reason is simple, I don’t want to have to go through and clean the transfers of the logs. If I can make this clarification with the code “A” this first time through it will be much easier than having to go through everything again. Relooking through about 30-40 years of logs with a minimum of 5000-6000 entries a year doesn’t sound too fun to me.

Now about filling the gaps. This code will not fill any data gaps, it will only clarify the current data that we already have. The only way we fill the data gaps is by people submitting missing data. If you are interested in doing that please contact me.

I hope this helps,

Will Boekel