[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin this week

Bell, Catherine cathy_bell at nps.gov
Sat Dec 28 13:33:23 PST 2013

Greetings from Old Faithful!

I had a lovely geyser predict shift this morning with a couple of
noteworthy sightings.

First, *Fan and Mortar* erupted within the last day.  I assumed overnight
12/27-12/28 at first, but Kristine Branstetter reported that F&M was
post-eruptive when she stopped by yesterday afternoon.  It likely erupted
sometime on the morning or early afternoon of 12/27.  We didn't see and no
one reported a big steam cloud down basin.  However, yesterday had a strong
inversion layer that trapped a dense geyser fog until late morning, so if
it went during that time it would have been difficult to observe.

Once the fog cleared yesterday, we had a beautiful (though too warm for
happy snowpack) bluebird day.  As many of you already know, we were treated
to a lovely* Beehive-Old Faithful dual* at midday (Beehive 1156 12/27/2013,
Ind 1141).  Many visitors got to enjoy it.

We had another mid-day *Beehive *today (1237 12/28/2013, Ind 1230ns),
shortly after an Old Faithful eruption.  A helpful guide spotted the
Indicator and we were able to get many visitors out to see and hear Beehive.

Not geyser-related, but interesting: I saw wolf tracks at Scalloped Spring
this morning.  This is the first wolf sign we've noted in the immediate
vicinity so far this winter.  Last night's Steam and Stars snowcoach tour
reported seeing four wolves heading southbound along the road near the
Fairy Falls trailhead.

Otherwise, things proceed normally.  Nothing from Giant or Giantess.  *Castle
*has had almost all majors, but did have a minor early yesterday morning
(12/27/2013 0433E min).  *Daisy *has been its consistent self, erupting at
intervals of 2 hours 45 minutes to 3 hours.  After striking out with *Riverside
*during the first week we were open, we've had more success this week at
seeing it (or seeing it in overflow).

We're doing our best to get electronic times posted to geysertimes.org.
 Please bear with us as we try to get caught up. :-)

Happy almost-New-Year!

--
Cathy Bell
Park Ranger