[Geysers] Constant Geyser Data Logger Mystery

Davis, Brian L. brdavis at iusb.edu
Thu Aug 22 07:17:04 PDT 2013

> I've been in contact with Dr. Jake Lowenstern of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory about
> getting access to their Norris data logger data, which will be accessible via Geysertimes.org
> in the near future.

That would be wonderful!

> ...he mentioned that the logger on Constant Geyser... is picking up large temperature spikes and
> he doesn't know what it is.

I don't know either, and while I've seen them in the record I figured they were know to correlate with some events, so I didn't give them much thought. I don't think it's a squirrel however... ;)... becasue it seems, just eyeballing the "weekly" chart on the webpage, that the thermister than reads slightly lower for a short window. This isn't obvious to me in the included high-resolution record, but it does seem to be a real feature of the weekly data graph.

That *suggests* to me that it may be a real eruption, and one that has an effect on Constant... which in turn suggests that it is something with Constant itself or at least very closely related to it's plumbing.

I wonder if it's possible to install an under-the-boardwalk volume sensor: a strip of thermal sensors looking "down" across the under-boardwalk channel. No touch, but by measuring not only the temperature, but the width of the drainage, you can get an estimate of the volume.

> P.S. We also discussed the possibility that the Steamboat thermistor is sitting "high and dry" after
> the July 31 major eruption. They will have people on site mid-September that will check and reset
> the logger as needed. Until then, reports of Steamboat minors would be appreciated to verify logger
> measurements.

Thank you, and agreed.

--
Brian Davis