[Geysers] Another vent at Morning

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Aug 10 16:43:44 PDT 2013

Steve Eide wrote:
YYou know, there are three holes out in the Morning area, Morning,
Morning's Thief, and a third hole just behind Morning with no name I know  of.  I
often wondered if the third hole ever erupts.  You can see it  on Google
Maps, just zoom in.  Maybe back then Morning, Morning's thief,  and the third
hole all erupted together."

I ask if Steve's "behind Morning" is as seen from the overlook, or from
where? No map that I have, nor the personal experience of having been out
there  (yes, it was years ago, in uniform), had a spring where I would say
"behind  Morning." There is, however, a feature near Morning's far northwest
corner.  Eruptive activity is known from this vent, in at least the 1980s and in
 1991. I haven't heard it mentioned in 2012-2013.

Note that interestingly, and I think surprisingly, neither this vent  (#12
of Paperiello in his Transactions IV article) nor Morning's Thief (Rocco's
#11) is shown on the USGS Thermal Map.