[Geysers] GIANT ERUPTIONS BY MONTH

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 3 10:28:20 PDT 2013

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FASHION FOR ANY PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT OR TRANSACTIONS OR ANY WEBSITE.

I've been told there's been some discussion on the OF webcam chat page about Giant eruptions by month.  As shown in the table below, Giant likes fall and winter best, and summer least.  June is its least favorite month, followed by May, then July and August.

I excluded years prior to 1960 because winter records were incomplete for many years.  I lumped 1960-1999 together because there weren't many eruptions in the 1960's (1), 1970's (1), 1980's (8).  As a side note, 69 of the 94 eruptions in 1990's occurred between January 1997 and April 1998.  I didn't include a column for "2010 to date" because there have only been two eruptions, both of which were in January 2010.

Lynn Stephens

Eruptions of Giant Geyser by Month

  Month

  1960-1999