[Geysers] Grand Prismatic on an iPad?

Janet White | SnowMoon, LLC janet at snowmoon.us
Thu Apr 18 16:58:28 PDT 2013

A photo like you're looking at is going to be costly to create simply
because of the plane involved. And any photographer who has gone to
those lengths isn't going to license it cheap. Those will be rights
managed images where you pay for each and every single use. It's not the
pay once, use as you will model of licensing.

I did take a look around at the various stock photography agencies and
really, the only ones were found at Getty:
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=creative&p=Grand+Prismatic+Spring+Overhead&assetType=image

As for the plane being photoshopped in, I would doubt it simply because
it came from an editorial person - not good juju to tamper with
editorial use photos.  Career risking type bad juju. Now if it was an
'art' piece - then there are no rules.

I think your best shot at using the photo is to contact the photographer
himself, tell him what you want to use the image for, negotiate a price
(rights managed/royalty managed - RM are usually negotiated based on the
budget you have for a project, not necessarily on a fixed price). He may
want to work directly with Gelaskins, I know I would with a shot like
this. If you want him to photoshop out the the plane, just ask if he has
one that doesn't have the plane in it. Like most of us, doing something
along those lines, he has more than one shot in his files.

Janet White
Geyser Watch .com
SnowMoon Photography .com
janet at snowmoon.us