[Geysers] Transactions 13 Call for Papers and Submission Guidelines

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 19:12:32 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,
The following was printed in the last Sput, but we wanted to post it here on the listserv, and also provide submission guidelines for anyone interested in contributing.  Once again, these are not requirements, but are meant to provide helpful information and examples to authors and photographers to make the process as smooth as possible for everyone.  If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at gosatransactions at gmail.com.  We will be happy to work with you!

We think we have a great volume coming together already, but would be very happy for more!
Thank you!
Tara CrossJeff CrossPat Snyder

TRANSACTIONS 13: CALL FOR PAPERS

The Transactions editors would like to follow up our brief
call for papers with a reminder to everyone that our submission deadline is
September 1, 2013, and there is still plenty of time to write.  We have received several article proposals
but are hoping for more!

Here are some suggestions for papers:

Observations
     of a rare geyser—you may have been one of a very few people to see
     it.  A simple report guarantees that
     the details of this event will be preserved for future researchers.Observations
     of an uncommonly-studied geyser—you may take a special interest in a
     geyser that everyone sees but nobody studies.  Three million people a year visit
     Yellowstone, yet the geyser basins are full of small-to-medium-sized
     geysers that go unnoticed.  One of
     these projects might require only a day or two to give interesting
     results.In-depth
     observations of a well-known geyser or group of geysers—you may be able to
     uncover unexpected patterns in its activity, or establish that historical
     patterns have remained consistent.
     Even a simple graph of interval vs. duration may show something
     unexpected—or, you might find that the geyser was doing exactly what it
     did when someone studied it in 1985.Historical
     studies—research of a geyser’s past behavior can help us understand its
     present behavior.Observations
     of thermal features not in Yellowstone are always welcome.

In the 23 years that have passed since Volume I was
published in 1989, the GOSA Transactions
has provided 2,510 pages of information on geysers in Yellowstone and in other
places throughout the world.  Eruption
data analyses, experiments with model geysers, conjectures on how geysers
function and accounts of rare or unusual geyser activity are some of the topics
that past authors have addressed in their papers.  Much of this information can be found only in
the pages of the Transactions—no
other journal exists where these articles could be published.  Were it not for publication in the Transactions, much of this information
would be forgotten.  That we have chosen
to collect and publish papers in each volume of the Transactions means that
future generations will have access to what we know about geysers and other
thermal features, and that they will be able to build on it.

Whatever your observations and research interests may be, it
is important to the study of geysers and to the mission of the GOSA
Transactions.  We hope that you will
consider contributing to Volume 13!

Jeff Cross

Tara Cross