[Geysers] Giant hot period??? 9/20?

STEPHEN P BEZORE sbezore at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 23 18:52:17 PDT 2012

On Thursday the 20th around 11 AM, my last full day in Yellowstone, I was walking past Giant toward Oblong when splashing in Mastiff's front vent caught my attention.  As I approached the Platform it was mostly dry.  There were puddles of water in Mastiff's drainage channel between the Rabbit and Mastiff's signs, water from Mastiff on the side of the platform, and puddles of water at the foot.  Feather was mostly dry except for two small puddles on the right.  A small platform vent behind the SW vents was bubbling.  The gravel patches on India appeared to be damp, but since I haven't looked at India since Giant became dormant, maybe that's normal.  There was also a puddle of water next to Turtle.  On a subsequent visit, left to right splashing of giant was splashing water out of the front of the cone, and on my final visit there was a large puddle of water in front of Giant's cone.

Conjecture----The amount of water I saw in Mastiff's runoff channel could be entirely due to splashing out of the front vent, but it doesn't explain the puddles near Feather.  I suggest that there might have been a hot period earlier, the evidence of which mostly dried up, followed by another event, without Feather, shortly before I arrived at the scene.  Since there were few geyser gazers last week in the park, and even fewer watching Giant, anything is possible.

I can only dream that this is the beginning of renewed activity in Giant and not a failed one shot attempt for a September eruption.

Steve Bezore