[Geysers] Lower geyser basin days

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Wed Sep 19 16:38:55 PDT 2012

Of course I have to respond to Maureen's post about my whining about Great
Fountain on the 15th and her awful commute to Fountain each day with traffic
never moving over 40mph and lines of cars going 30mpg and people
rubbernecking at elk.

She enticed me from Morning with promises of blue bubbles so I left my watch
post (it was getting over 7 hours since Fountain erupted and the wind was
picking up quite a bit so I rationalized that Morning had missed its chance
too).  As Maureen said, I arrived during the ho-hum 4th series and we aere
both expecting the eruption to die down.  But the 5th, 6th, and 7th were
very rewarding with blue bubbles and our excitement spilled over to the few
people sticking around including some photographers (sunset was obscured by
thick cloud until a red glow appeared).  Then it turned into one of those
waits - we couldn't leave until the eruption finished and it still had
exciting bursts in the 8th and 9th.  Thankfully it finished and I headed
back to my cabin to pack for my flight home on the 16th and caught the 2129
and 0254 Grand's before leaving too.  That is certainly an eruption I will
remember.

Now I am home and have a 20 mph commute to work in bumper-to-bumper traffic
with people rubbernecking at fender bender.  Oh how I wish for 30 mph
commutes to see Fountain and do some rubbernecking at elk!

It was a great trip, thanks for calling me over Maureen.

Graham Meech.