[Geysers] great APOD pic!--Faked!

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 19:24:21 PDT 2012

In a message dated 10/22/2012 5:07:03 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov writes:

Well...after all of that labored explanation from several people, I still
think that a camera-image which does not truly represent what the eye sees
at  a given moment is faked. And I agree completely with Paul Strasser when
he  made the comment that "this effort is awful."

The image is fanciful,  created, unreal, "enhanced," photo-shopped, messed
with, or (using the most  simple term) faked. That's my opinion and I'm
sticking to it.

I guess  I'm one of those people who simply does not care for this kind of
work.

Lee Whittlesey

Sandra Nykerk  <snykerk at mcn.net>

Sandra Nykerk  <snykerk at mcn.net>
Sent by:  <geysers-bounces at lists.wallawalla.edu>
10/19/2012 09:05 PM
Please respond to
Geyser  Observation Reports  <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>

Geyser  Observation Reports  <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>
cc

Subject

Re:  [Geysers] great APOD pic!--Faked!
I'm not sure how one describes "faked" in today's techno photo world,  but
by my definition, Bob Howell's image of White Dome is definitely not  faked.
It is, however, most certainly, "enhanced." It is a two exposure  fusion,
not quite the HDR that Janet references, as that technique really  requires
three or more exposures. High dynamic range processes, including tone
mapping single images, have been developed to circumvent the dynamic range
limitations of sensors vs. the light gathering capabilities of the human eye.
Ditto for the technique of exposure fusion. Any HDR process can be done gently
and realistically, or with a heavier touch, which can transform the image
into  an illustration. Or somewhere in between.

Bob  simply took one exposure which was correct for the moon illuminating
White  Dome and blended it with a second exposure for the aurora. Each was a
30  second exposure. The image was then optimized in a photo software
program. You  may not care for the results, but I don't see how this can be
labeled as  "fake."

Sandra Nykerk
_snykerk at mcn.net_ (mailto:snykerk at mcn.net)

On Oct 19, 2012, at 9:28 AM, "Janet White | SnowMoon, LLC"