[Geysers] great APOD pic!--Faked!

Steven Krause S_Krause at mchsi.com
Sun Oct 21 18:58:18 PDT 2012

As a reference point from another hobby of mine that relies on photography:

A photograph is "real" if you didn't add elements to it, or you didn't
remove elements from it. (cell towers are a controversy in this respect
- removing them is still modification in some/many people's opinion.)

A photograph is still "real" even if you're doing HDR or other
techniques in this fashion, but using the elements as they were
presented to the camera (flashlight, headlight, that stuff all counts as
"real" on the scene.)

As soon as you start "making" stars or removing significant blur traces,
or adding elements from other photographs, it's no longer "real". HDR
avoids that problem because it's taking the details from another photo.
Earlier, someone mentioned Ansel Adam's work. He took advantage of the
negatives he was using having a much higher dynamic range than the paper
he was printing on, and created prints using multiple exposures of that
print that contained images from that negative, but that other
photographers only could dream of.

If this is a mosaic technique where he did add elements from another
photo, then it's in a grey area by the rules of some people. It's a
created image, not a photographed image. Fake is such a harsh word when
you're talking artwork.

Long story short. It's entirely legitimate to dislike the particular
photographic style. The definition of "real" or "created" image has only
broad consensus outlines, and in this case that difference is likely to
be debated.

I think it's a neat photo.

Steve Krause

--