[Geysers] great APOD pic!--Faked!

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 20:15:15 PDT 2012

It's an HDR (high dynamic range) photo - which combines two or more
exposures. You are right when you say it can't be done with one shot, but
most astrophotographers do this now because that's what sells - it more
realistically captures what the eye can see (and with some aurora photos,
more than we can see - is that 'faking' it?). However, the 'painted' edges
happen with certain techniques and software.  Some people like HDR, some
find it jarring.

Janet White
SnowMoon, LLC
SnowMoon Photography .com

The problem, with this photo is that it has no similarity to what the eye
sees, at all.   Like Grover I have seen many auroras from here and many
other locales, The night must be moonless for pix, and on these nights the
terrain stays black.  And you don't see 9th mag stars, ever.

I am aware of stacking 'negatives' for deep sky objects, but this effort is
awful.  It is like a nice poster I saw of the golden gate bridge with a big
full moon. But since it was facing north, it was impossible and looked
crappy,

Paul Strasser