[Geysers] Great Fountain wild phase

Gordon Bower taigabridge at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 20 20:18:15 PDT 2012

According to posts on Geysertimes, Great Fountain has been IE since at least 0945 Saturday morning. It was still erupting steadily and impressively when we saw it at 1631, intermittently putting up big enough bursts to see them from Bead at 1754, and still at least boiling hard and making a lot of noise at 1953, though I didn't see any water above the surface in a couple minutes of watching.

The last reported "normal" eruption was 1317ns Friday, and it was still trying but not quite succeeding in throwing out a few droplets as late as 1520, so I would expect it to have waited until 3 or 4 in the morning to erupt again, as opposed to erupting normally ~2300 and starting wild phase ~0900. (It was not in wild phase at dinnertime Friday.)

GRB