[Geysers] Thermal Basin-Induced Weather?

Bruce Jensen bpnjensen at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 19:38:42 PDT 2012

Convective weather cells - including thunderstorms - can often be very compact storms, with precipitation of any kind - rain, hail, graupel, snow - being confined to very narrow swaths.  One place can see heavy accumulation, and another location a mere few hundred yards away or less may see nothing at all.

OTOH, large geyser clouds certainly create pockets of precip - something like Excelsior Geyser on a cold still  morning may be able to produce significant rain or freezing rain.  A geyser cloud on a still day is, in effect, a small localized convective cell.

Bruce Jensen,
California, USA

"[Yellowstone] is a fabulous country, the only fabulous country; it is the one place where miracles not only happen, but where they happen all the time." ~ Thomas Wolfe