[Geysers] Mastiff Function Giant?

David Schwarz david.schwarz at alumni.duke.edu
Sat Oct 6 06:02:20 PDT 2012

   Every time I saw it, Mastiff started 5-10 minutes into a hot period from
a full and surging pool and with the platform vents on strong.  Waning
activity in the vents was directly associated with Mastiff's water level
dropping, and that usually didn't happen if it was going to erupt.  In at
least one case, Bijou had already restarted, but Mastiff stayed full and
boiling, and the vents stayed on.

   The periodic surging to 2-4 feet that happened in the front vent of
Mastiff during strong hot periods would keep getting bigger, until at some
point, based on the sound as much as anything else, it became clear that it
was jetting rather than just boiling and surging.  Then the back vent would
start.  You can see that sequence in Steve's video.  At first, you see
angled jetting from right to left over Giant's cone.  That's the front
vent.  Then you see something that looks like Grand starting behind the
cone.  That's the back vent.

David Schwarz