[Geysers] Morning hypotheses

Chris Daubert cjdaubert at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 18 11:11:52 PST 2012

Well, I'm really busy this time of year and haven't kept up with all the e-mails, but I'll throw in a little bit here, since I visited in June to see Morning and only got to see 12 Fountains instead.   I arrived about 6 hours prior to the 6/23 2103 eruption of Fountain that had a duration of 45 minutes and left about 10 hours after the 6/29 0029 eruption of Fountain that had a duration of 44 minutes.  During that week there were three Fountain interval longer than 12 hours, only two of which were significantly longer than 12 hours. 6/24 0800 to 6/24 2213 was an interval of 1413... I only left the Lower Basin for a couple of hours immediately following the 0800 eruption - according to my notes I was back by 1100.  Besides, in the first couple days of my visit there were plenty of people besides me, keeping watch - I think Dee was probably there all day on the 24th, so NO MORNING on 6/24 despite the long interval. 6/25 0906 to 6/25 2116 was an interval of 1210... After the morning Fountain my notes indicate I left and returned to the Lower Basin just prior to 6 hours after the morning eruption began.  I went to Great Fountain and stayed for the eruption at 1552, watching for steam from across the road.  So, while it would have been possible for me to have missed a Morning, it isn't probable - it would have needed to erupt well before the 6 hour mark post Fountain for me to have missed it. 6/27 0400ie (according to my notes (later recorded 0352E), which was about a 9 hour interval, catching me napping (probably literally, despite what people think)) to 6/27 1652 was a 1252 interval... After the 0400ie ended at 0437 I went to the Upper Basin until Beehive at 0758 and then returned to the Lower Basin by about 5 hours post Fountain.  Again, Morning would have needed to have been well under 6 hours post Fountain in order for me to have missed it. So here there were three long(ish) intervals of Fountain that I'm fairly certain didn't include a Morning eruption... the long interval I worry about was during my July visit and caught Fountain while driving back from a hike on 7/15 at 2217ie.  Since I knew that eruption, I went back to see Fountain in the morning (7/16) and had to wait until 1121.  13+ hour interval with 6-7.5 hours post Fountain coming around 4-530 the next morning - a Morning in this interval I find probable and just my luck. Chris