[Geysers] Geyser report Sunday, May 27, 2012

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Sun May 27 16:52:50 PDT 2012

All passes and Mammoth to Norris remained closed at 0600 as I entered
the W Gate.  At least Mammoth to Norris and Craig were open when I
left the UGB after 1230.  The closed signs at the entrance gate are on
individual slats that slide onto a sign.  Another (yellow) slat warns
when snow tires are required.  When the yellow slat is positioned
above one or more of the road pass slats, it could be interpreted that
the pass(es) listed below that sign is/are not really closed, just
require(s) snow tires, but that is NOT so.

The rains wiped out most of yesterday's snow on the ground.  The
grasses and flowers seem unaffected by the cold blanket they endured.
The shooting stars look grateful for the moisture.

Going in, I saw a bald eagle on top of a dead tree across the Madison
from the nest.  Bison occupied the Madison meadows by 7 mile bridge,
but I did not see the elk and calf.

Snow started spitting at Madison Junction.  Snow on the trees didn't
survive long, and new snow did not continue to accumulate.

Beehive: 0957  (water @ 0941, indicator @ 0942)
Grand: 0543 G1Q D=12; 1214 T1C
Jim Scheirer noted that Tilt's Baby was empty when we returned from
Grand.  It had been full going out.
Plume: 0727, 0826, 0927, 0957ns, 1022ie  [yes, I see the 30 minute interval.]
Lion: 0708 d=<3min, 0802, 0903, 0955, 1052
Little Cub ie @ 0721, 0850
Dome: 0818ie
Plate: 1101--possibly ie, although I didn't document it as such?
Depression: 0710ie, 1031ie for a presumed closed interval of about 3 hrs, 21min
Aurum: 0631, 1047 for a presumed closed interval of 4hr, 16min
Castle: 0955 major
Riverside: 0903
Daisy: 0749
Fountain: 1329

Fairy Falls, Firehole Lake, Firehole Canyon, Fountain Flat all open.
Great Fountain had not reached overflow when I last saw it shortly
after 1400.

Today, we had some snow, some rain, even a bit of small hail (on my
trip home), and enough of a breeze to create an impressive chill
factor.

I was reminded on the drive home that one bison shouldn't really make
a traffic jam.  May all your on-road bison encounters be animals
traveling TOWARD you, and preferably in the opposite lane.

Barbara Lasseter