[Geysers] Geyser report Sat 5-26-12

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Sat May 26 11:25:19 PDT 2012

The rough weather did not deter visitors today.  The entrance line at
the W gate extended beyond Boundary Ave as I returned about 1130.
There were lo-o-ng backups both on the W entrance Rd and the Madison
to OF leg--bison on the road. Park service white trucks were bleeping
sirens to shoo them along.

There was 4-5" of snow on my car this AM, and snow fell off and on all
AM.  Coming home I exprienced heavy snowfall for a stretch with flakes
as big as an inch or more.  Going into the park at 0630 was light
traffic, pre-plowing.  Smaller cars were struggling with the snow on
the edges and center of the ruts as they were built too low to clear,
so one had to be alert for oncoming traffic traveling in the best
ruts, which often were on my side of the road, not theirs.  Scenery
was terrific!

I saw an elk cow in the Madison Meadow, and pulled over for snowy elk
photo, only then spying the calf in the snow up to his ears by her
feet.

The geese were in the eagle's nest again, and the eagle was atop a
snag across the river.

I do not have many times--once they announced the Mammoth to Norris
closure and the heavy snow resumed, I scooted out of there (during the
Depression eruption).

Beehive: was at 1652 yesterday and had not yet erupted when I left
Grand: 5/25 1720e & 2324e; this AM 0529e
Castle: 0544e
Plume: 0803, 0957
Lion: 1005 initial
Depression: 1023ie