[Geysers] May 22 Report (Lynn Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue May 22 19:25:08 PDT 2012

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSES, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT OR TRANSACTIONS. Till Geyser:  the May 21 0922, 0931, and 0933 ie reports probably indicate the eruption was a major eruption, although there is a very slim possibility it could have been two minor eruptions.   It has been pointed out to me that there are two reports on May 11 for Till on geysertimes.org.  The reports are 9h46m apart.  Unfortunately, there is no indication for either sighting whether it was a major or a minor.  For those of you who are relatively new gazers, Till Geyser has a major eruption with a duration of about 30-32 minutes, then a 16-20 minute quiet period, followed by about 3 hours of afterbursts, or minor eruptions.  Almost all of the afterbursts last about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, although I have sometimes seen the first, second, or third afterburst last 5-7 minutes.  As you're driving by, height is not an indication of whether the eruption is a minor or a major.  If you actually see water flowing down the runoff channel, then the eruption is probably the major, but the runoff channel can remain wet through some of the first afterbursts.  If the eruption continues for at least 10 minutes, then you know it is a major. If both the eruptions reported on May 11 were major eruptions, then yes, major to major interval may be about 9 1/2 to 10 hours.  However, the two reports could have been--first report last minor in a series and second report a major.  In that case the interval could have been almost 14 hours (back up the last minor 3 1/2 hours to get start of the major plus 9 3/4 hours until start of the next major).  On the other hand, if the first report was the start of a major and the second report was a minor, then the major to major interval could have been less than 8 hours.  I've picked, of course, the worst case combinations of sightings to point out the danger of dealing with uncertain data. Jewel Geyser:  I watched Jewel from 10:35 until 13:38 today (May 22).  I missed five eruptions during that time, but the 19 intervals averaged 9m38s.  I think the shortest closed interval was 8m40s and the longest closed interval was 10m19s.  In other words, there wasn't much variation. Mercury Geyser:  Every time I have walked past, there has been plenty of water in both vents, but I haven't caught any eruptive activity yet.  (Of course, I haven't stayed to watch it either.) Caulliflower Geyser:  On the morning of May 22 I "saw" (through the steam) a series of four bursts that occurred over a period about 90 seconds;  estimated height 2-4 feet. Atomizer Geyser:  I saw a quick comeback major this morning, so each of the three major eruptions I have seen has had a different type of entry into the major.  I arrived at Artemisia (which was in full audible overflow)/Atomizer at 0640 and noted Atomizer was full and overflowing.  I had set up my logbook today with columns to record fill and bubble times, as well as eruption times.  (Other than noting that at 3 hours into that long minor to minor interval yesterday Atomizer had not yet had a fill, I didn't record the fill/bubble times.)  Atomizer had a minor eruption at 07:02, which lasted about 37 seconds.  Based on prior years, I would have thought a minor eruption with a duration that short was early in the sequence of minors, but I knew we were already at more than 15 hours since the preceding major.  Also, I've never recorded post-eruptive activity on a minor lasting less than 40 seconds.  The wind was really strong this morning, but at 0710 I noted I could hear gurgling in Atomizer.  At 0711 I saw the first splash, then another, then a third, then the fourth built to the major at 0712, for a major to major interval of 15h20m.  In prior years I've frequently been able to predict Atomizer majors, but I won't be making any such predictions this year because the lead-ins to all three of the majors I've seen have all shown me something I hadn't seen from Atomizer before. Fountain Complex:  With Atomizer's cooperation by erupting at 0715, I was able to go to the Fountain Complex for the morning eruption of Fountain.  As Maureen reported on geysertimes.org, Morning's Thief was active prior to Fountain's eruption, so we knew Fountain had not erupted overnight.  Fountain started at 0854, an interval of 12h42m, which was about as expected based on last night's duration of 42 minutes.  But then Fountain stopped at 0924 for a duration of 30 minutes.  Twig waited until a minute after Fountain stopped before it stopped.  I waited until 1000 and noted that Clepsydra had not paused.  I had planned to go to Till this afternoon, but instead decided I wanted to make certain we didn't miss an eruption of Fountain at a 6 hour, or under, interval.  I arrived in sight of Fountain at 13:55.  Due to the wind, rain, and hail, I decided to watch from the pick-up at the pull-out down on Fountain Flats.  Maureen arrived about 15:00 or so.  Morning's Thief had an independent eruption at 1722, and Fountain started its eruption at 1728, for an interval of 8h34minutes.  Fountain's duration was 32 minutes.  Twig started its eruption at 1804.  I bet you can guess where Maureen and I will be tomorrow morning. Bicyles:  Barbara mentioned the bicyclist at Artemisia yesterday.  I stopped at the Old Faithful backcountry office today to ask if the rules had changed.  (I know of at least one summer where NPS personnel were telling bicyclists they could walk their bicycles from Morning Glory to Biscuit Basin, but Law Enforcement Rangers said that was not acceptable and make certain NPS personnel were aware of the fact that "no bikes" meant "no bikes period," not just "no riding bikes.")  The back country office was closed but one of the Law Enforcement desk officers was available.  He said he wasn't a sworn officer, didn't think the rules had changed, but would ask and have the information for me in a few days. Weather:  As already noted, the weather this afternoon was miserable.  Coming back into West Yellowstone, the sides of the hills and the road were covered with white from a couple miles south of Madison Junction to a couple miles west of Madison Junction.  The white wasn't from snow though, it was hail.  The hail was almost as treacherous as driving in slush however, as evidenced by the curvy tire tracks in some places where people had difficulty maintaining traction. Animals:  I was quite thankful to drive back to West in daylight this evening.  Sunday night I was headed west from Madison Junction, looking for a place to pull over because the person behind me was tailgating me, even though I was doing 44 mph per my speedometer.  When I saw the bison whose frontquarters were in my lane, I had visions of not being able to stop in time and hitting the bison, while at the same time the guy behind me wouldn't be able to stop, rearending me, thus turning my pickup into an accordion.  I managed to get stopped with about 15 feet to spare.  The man behind me had to swerve over into the other lane, and barely avoided hitting me.  Last night there must have been 20 different places with two to six bison in the road coming down off the hill into Madison Junction and then another 15 places between Madison Junction and Seven Mile Bridge.      Saturday, Sunday, and Monday mornings and evenings I was treated to the sounds of sandhill cranes, and to the sight of at least one of them flying.  This happened regardless of whether I was in the Lower Basin or at Artemisia/Atomizer.  Today was the first day I missed the sounds.  However, I did get to see a pair of sandhills feeding about 30 feet off the road in Fountain Flats as I was driving out this evening. Lynn Stephens