[Geysers] Historical footnote about channel 4-5.

Eric Hatfield conanvandt at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 21:37:25 PDT 2012

As a quick historical fact about the channel 4-5, that was the Hatfield familys' arbitrary choice in 1997 (? as I recall the year, I'd have to refer to the Sput article.)  We bought a set of the FRS radios because of the poor performance of the handheld CBs.  Dan Hatfield chose 4-5 probably because it wasn't so obvious or likely to produce accidental cross traffic as 1-1, but easier than 27-18, or whatever.

We were impressed with the performance of the radios, and so spread the word, and put it in the Sput.

So, that's where 4-5 came from; we chose it mostly at random.  We don't own it, but that's how that familiar little detail happened.  It's interesting that the FRS radios (and the coding system) are still in use and haven't been outstripped in the interceding 15 years.

"4-5" argues toward the spontaneous, unsanctioned nature of the gazer rabble.  We show up, look at geysers, and follow each other's information. Or not....