[Geysers] Trip Report April 29 to May 6 Norris and Mammoth

Stephen Eide stepheneide at cableone.net
Sun May 13 10:27:38 PDT 2012

Greetings,

I spent a little time in Norris and Mammoth on April 30.  In Mammoth;
Canary spring no longer has any water.  The upper outer spring (?Cleopatra
Spring?) has all the water and it comes out right on the edge of the
terrace and cascades down in a nice waterfall.  The spring on the flat
between Canary Spring and the upper loop road is also dry with no water.
The walkway above Canary Spring has been elevated because (as Jim Holstein
said) the deposits from the springs on the hillside to the South were about
to bury the boardwalk.  The feature out by narrow gauge terrace continues
to look nice.  Orange Spring is in good condition.  Palette Spring
continues to grow, the run off has shifted a bit to the west.

In Norris I did not see much.  The upper part of the Porcelain Terrace is
very wet with 4-5 active steam vents but I did not see anything erupting.
There was one perpetual spouter going.  I did not see Constant but I also
did not wait around long.  There is a geyser I have not noticed before on
the top of the ridge to the east of Pinwheel on the  north slope of one of
the knobs on the ridge.  So you can't see it from the overlook above the
Porcelain Terrace.  It erupted maybe 5-10 feet high about once a minute or
so with a duration of a few seconds.

Forgotten Fumarole was just steaming lightly.  Palpitatior Spring has water
and is palpitating.  Fearless has water and just bubbled.  Monarch (sigh)
did nothing while I was there.   Veteran had only minors, Vixen was quiet,
Pearl Geyser was overflowing but that was all.  The spring across from
Pearl (?Creamsicle Spring?) continues to be a perpetual spouter.  I did see
two small geysers erupt in the area between Orbicular and the boardwalk to
the south but Orby was not active.  I did not notice Son of Green Dragon, I
guess it was not that active.  Yellow Funnel Spring is a muddy perpetual
spouter.  Echinis is still inactive but the sign has been updated to say it
is sometimes a regular geyser but is also often inactive.  Steamboat was
having mostly duals but with heights of about half way up the trees from
the lower platform.  The stairs from the lower platform down are blocked
off and the stairs now go from the lower platform to the upper platform at
Steamboat and then dead end.   You have to take the new pathway from the
lower platform to Emerald Spring, but is a much nicer walk with a good view
of the basin.

The heated bathroom with flush toilets was closed, I hope it will open for
Memorial Day Weekend.

Stephen Eide