[Geysers] Steamboat Photos

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed May 2 09:11:47 PDT 2012

Somewhat belatedly, it occurred to me that since two of these photos were
found on Wikipedia, then they probably reside in Wikimedia. They do.

The photographer of the two photos Jeff identified as "448px" and "800px"
were taken on May 23, 2005 by a person identified as Hsing-Mei Wu. Don't
know  that person myself.

Use of the photos is licensed under Creative Commons Share-Alike 3.0.

If you are not familiar with Creative Commons and Wikimedia, there are
several levels of license. In essence, Share-Alike allows the use of photos,
even for commercial purposes, provided that the image is properly credited
and  not altered. There are thousands of available photos, in this case a
dozen or so  showing Steamboat. I search for photos in the Landscapes pages:

_http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Landscapes_
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Landscapes)

Should you find yourself wanting to use such a photo, do carefully  check
any licensing restrictions -- as I note above, there are several levels of
license, all fully explained within Wikimedia. These levels allow a range
from  no restrictions whatsoever to personal, non-commercial use.

Note, by the way, that the third of Jeff's photos -- the one whose source
has been under discussion on this list -- is NOT in Wikimedia.

Scott Bryan

In a message dated 4/27/2012 4:59:40 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,