[Geysers] Height of Morning Eruption

jimscheir at aol.com jimscheir at aol.com
Sat Jun 23 19:57:26 PDT 2012

All of us who were present at the eruption of Morning estimated that the highest spikes were at least 200 feet high. It must be understood that these were spikes of the OMG variety and not huge 50-100 foot wide bursts. There were 3 that are etched in my memory which required bending my head back to see the tops, and I was watching from the overlook and not the lower boardwalk. There were other bursts that were very wide but not nearly as tall as these spikes. Many of the bursts were taller or wider than anything I have ever seen from Fountain. 3 were taller than anything I have seen from Great Fountain and I have seen about 15 superbursts of Great Fountain over the years. Imagine watching an eruption of Great Fountain with several superbursts in height or width, but with huge bursts spaced throughout the eruption and you will have a good idea of what it was like.

Jim Scheirer