[Geysers] A few observations, 6/9/12-6/14/12

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 17 12:55:50 PDT 2012

Thanks for the report Bill.  Re:  oddness and comment about Great Fountain eruptions outside the predicted window.  Assuming the prediction window is 12 hours +/- 2 hours, or even if it is 12 1/4 +/- 2 hours, there have been 5 closed intervals since May 28 that were outside the window:   Intervals on the short side:June 2, 0827, closed interval of 9h28mJune 12, 0220E, closed interval of 8h38m, if the afternoon prediction was made without knowing the overnight electronic time, then the afternoon prediction would have been 1742 +/-2 hours, putting the 1451 eruption outside the early side of the window. Intervals on the long side:May 28, eruption at 2116, closed interval of 16h02m (duration of preceding eruption was seven bursts, 94 minutes)June 6, eruption at 0544,  closed interval of 14h59m (duration of preceding eruption was six bursts, for 69 minutes)June 10, eruption at 0703,  closed interval of 15h49m
June 13, eruption at 1924, double interval of  28h44m, putting the evening eruption outside the end of the window. Six predictions outside the window out of 41 intervals is 15% of the predictions outside the window.   However, there is no interval-based window that would have resulted in fewer errors.  (12 1/2 and 12 3/4 hours both cause one additional eruption to go on the short side of the window as well as at least one of the double interval that was 20h33m.) Usiing 13 hours +/- 2 hours adds one more eruption on the short side of the window while eliminating one eruption on the long side of the window.)  In both cases where the preceding duration was known, adjusting the interval based on duration of preceding eruption resulted in a window that captured both of the eruptions that occurred outside the long side of the interval-based prediction. Lynn Stephens  Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:19:41 -0600