[Geysers] Geyser Report 6/3 Stephens

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 3 19:31:33 PDT 2012

THIS REPORT IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT OR TRANSACTIONS. I started and ended my gazing day with Great Fountain.  Great Fountain was already in overflow when I arrived this morning.  I had the entire eruption, which started at 0604, all to myself--no one drove through Firehole Lake Drive while Great Fountain was erupting.  Based on the duration I was predicting the next eruption between 5 and 7 pm.  The eruption was a little weaker than I had thought; this evening's eruption started at 1717, after an overflow of 81 minutes.  This evening's eruption didn't really have a fifth burst, so I'm expecting an interval between 10-12 hours.  I doubt I'll be out there to see it. Looking at Great Fountain intervals since Firehole Lake Drive opened, we have recorded 10 closed intervals and two double intervals.  If the 16h interval is excluded, the overall mean interval is 11 hours 44 minutes.  Including the 16h interval increases the overall mean interval to 12h02m, which is also the median interval of the 10 closed intervals. Pink Cone has also moved into the wee hours of the morning.  The eruption was completely finished when I checked it at 0510. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get an interval on Till today, but Fountain's 1117 eruption had a relatively short duration, 33 minutes, and Till had a long double iinterval, which allowed me to get to the Steel Bridge with 6 minutes to spare.  The double interval for Till averaged just under 10 1/2 hours. A couple interesting comments from a tour guide to his group at Fountain today:  The yellow color at the base of Clepsydra is due to manganese oxide.  And, be careful about getting geyser water on your glasses or camera lens.  The water contains silicon dioxide, which is what plastic is made of. As I turned into Firehole Lake Drive about 5 this morning, I noticed a mallard duck family floating on the lukewarm pond that's on the south side of the road, near the entrance.  It was too dark to get pictures of the ducklings, and when I drove past after it had gotten lighter, the ducks were gone. On a technical note, it has come to my attention that sometimes the tables that I've embedded in my emails don't come through as tables.  Yesterday I got back my email from the listserv with the tables.  When someone mentioned their copy had come through with long strings of numbers, I forwarded the copy I had gotten from the listserv and the other person received it with the tables intact.  When I looked at the email in the listserv archives, the tables don't appear.  I'll be leaving Friday, which will be the end of the "daily" reports for this year, so I guess my solution will be to not embed any tables in any emails I might sent out the rest of the week. Lynn Stephens