[Geysers] Geyser Report Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:08:19 PDT 2012

First a correction:  My report for Tues 7/17/12 listed Grand
electronic as 0530e.  It was a typo--actual electronic was 0430e, for
a 6+hr interval, not a 5+hr interval.  Thanks to those who caught it
and send me queries!

On Geyser Hill this AM, Giantess was having large boils (to 2 feet),
long boiling episodes, boiling along the majority of the N side of the
pool, and nice overflow from the west and north portions of the pool.
It collected quite a crowd of gazers, a good number of w-o-o-o s,
hence a good bit of interest from passing visitors.
Kitt Barger reported seeing (last evening?) a puddle of standing water
in the adjacent catch basin by Bronze Spring that was not there after
the last rain.
Split/Exclamation Point had fresh runoff channels with newly killed
grass downslope this AM, although the feature itself looked pretty
much as usual when I passed.

Beehive: 0821 (indicator @ 0805, water seen at 0804)
Grand: 0641, 1351 T1Q
Plume: 0656, 0753, 0846, 0940, 1035, 1126, ..., 1307, 1407ie
Lion: 0639ie (thought to be initial-d>5min), 0750, then not even a roar.
Little Cub ie @ 0753, 0826, 0907, 0944
Aurum was watched all AM to no avail
Castle: 1202 major after a minor last night--didn't hear the
electronic time for the minor
Oblong: 0622, 1026
Riverside: 1059
Daisy: 0554, 0839ie, ...,1344
Grotto: 1334
Grotto Fountain: large and long at 1330ie--water clearly visible from
Grand above the trees until several minutes into Grotto.
Fountain: 1028 d=38
Great Fountain: 0530ns VR  It was in the late stages at 0620 when I stopped.
Artemisia was "empty: at 1300.  It was reported to have erupted about
1730 yesterday.

Ater noting the lack of wildlife seen on my drives recently, I passed
3 groups of elk this AM, a bison, and a flock of Canada Geese
(goslings now appear full-grown).
Lovely strong rainbows in both Beehive and Lion.  38 degrees at 0600,
78 degrees at 1430.  Sunny, mostly clear skies.

Barbara Lasseter