[Geysers] Old names---Lee's reply to Gordon Bower

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Tue Jul 17 09:12:34 PDT 2012

Gordon---Good surmises and I too have thought about them. At this point, I
cannot conclusively say that you are wrong.

However, my theory agrees with Scott's that P.W. Norris was using the names
"First Canyon" for today's Gibbon Canyon.  "Second Canyon"  for today's
Sleepy Hollow area, and "Third Canyon" for today's Madison Canyon.  This
was during a time when the names of Firehole River and Gibbon River were
often called "South Fork of the Madison" and "North Fork of the Madison"
respectively, even though Hayden had given the name Gibbon River in 1872
and the name Firehole River had been so-called even earlier. Regardless,
many observers continued to refer to the F and G as "South" and "North"
forks of the Madison.

I suspect that a dedicated hammering of all five of Norris's annual reports
with this question clearly in mind might throw light on the subject, but I
do not have time to do it myself right now. I've read those reports over
and over, but not with that precise question in mind...at least that I can
remember.

Lee Whittlesey

             Gordon Bower
             <taigabridge at hotm
             ail.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>
             <geysers-bounces@                                          cc
             lists.wallawalla.
             edu>                                                  Subject
                                       Re: [Geysers] Old names

             07/16/2012 05:00
             PM

             Please respond to
                  Geyser
                Observation
                  Reports
             <geysers at lists.wa
               llawalla.edu>

> The canyon between (about)   Mile Bridge and Madison Junction is
> labeled as "Third Canyon."
> I find no "Second Canyon" on the map...

The Yellowstone River canyons were named from the bottom up (Yankee Jim,
Black, and Grand were 2nd 3rd and 4th, in that order.)

I would suggest that the west entrance road is the 3rd canyon of the
Madison (Bear Trap and Hebgen Lake being the 1st and 2nd), while Gibbon
Falls is the mouth of the 1st canyon of the Gibbon.

GRB