[Geysers] Old names

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 08:13:16 PDT 2012

A couple of weeks ago Mary Beth handed out some neckerchiefs that bore the
1881 Norris map of YNP. It boasts a few curious names/locations. So as much
as  anything this e-mail is aimed at Lee Whittlesey, who does not have
these names  in Wonderland Nomenclature...

The canyon between (about) 7 Mile Bridge and Madison Junction is labeled as
 "Third Canyon."
I find no "Second Canyon" on the map but have to presume that it is/was the
 shallow canyon between Gibbon Falls and Madison Junction, this given that
what  must be Gibbon Falls is shown as "First Canyon Falls." And this then
leaves  Gibbon Canyon between the falls and Gibbon Meadows as "First Canyon."

The map also shows "Johnson Peak." I think this must be our Paintpot Hill.
And who was Johnson?

Last on this, just the comment that the map shows "geyser" in what must be
our area NW of Norris.

Apologies to those historians among us who are familiar with this map, but
this curious mind wishes to know...

Scott Bryan

P.S. To MA and others, thanks much for the info about Graceful, Incline,
etc.