[Geysers] A Photographer Is Seeking Info about Black RockGeyser in Gerlac...

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Jul 14 08:00:34 PDT 2012

I believe that both previous respondents might be wrong, as this name
implies that this is NOT the Fly Ranch thing.

More likely it is a spring (probably the southernmost) in the 5+ mile  long
Double Hot Springs-Black Rock Hot Springs trend along the west face of the
Black Rock Range. As the proverbial bird flies, this is about 45 miles
northeast  of Gerlach and roughly 25 miles east-northeast of the Fly Ranch area.

Per Garside and Schilling (1979) (yes, it is getting dated), there are
traces of travertine and siliceous sinter among these springs, of which the
southernmost had a temperature of 202F, right at boiling for the altitude.
That,  perhaps, is the Black Rock Geyser.

Now, should the photographers photo show good ol' Fly Ranch, well

Scott Bryan

In a message dated 7/13/2012 6:36:58 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,