[Geysers] FRS Radio Broadcasting Project

Mike O'Brien mikeobrien at spamcop.net
Fri Jul 13 09:55:02 PDT 2012

In response to Mr. Scheirer, the simple answer is, why keep an eye on the webcam?  I'd listen to an Internet FRS rebroadcast for the same reason: a "sense of presence".  Times I can't be there, it feels good to see and hear the same things as I would if I were there.  Practical value: close to none.  Emotional value: could be immense, if I'm having a bad day!

I'm sorry people are down on the notion.  I certainly wouldn't mind having my own calls rebroadcast on the 'net when I'm there, any more than I would object to showing up on the Webcam when I'm wandering the OF area.  No skin off my nose.  Frankly, the only problem I see is one of Internet bandwidth.  There ain't much to be had around OF, which is where the radio would have to be.  If the Park Service or Xanterra, which own all the wired connections, weren't in on the gig, I don't see how it could be done.  Sure doesn't seem like that cell tower has enough bandwidth to do streaming audio.

Mike O'Brien