[Geysers] Text message notification system is now live

Gordon Bower taigabridge at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 17:43:07 PDT 2012

What I would like to be able to do, is submit times to geysertimes by sending a text message to a designated address.

There is a serious delay in getting the webpage to load and then spinning through the names of geysers on the menus, such that I only ever report anything really odd while I am out in the basin, then fill in a couple extra missed times at dinnertime. If all I had to do was type a few letters and a time, real-time reports from the basin would be much easier to do.

Ideally, a format where for common geysers all I would need to type on my phone is a few letters and a time, e.g. "BHI 1835", and a simple syntax to make a more complicated entry, that a computer somewhere could convert to a full-fledged entry into the electronic logbook on receipt of the text.

I have kicked around in my head some thoughts about the right balance between terseness and capability, and how to parse the resulting messages, but I won't subject the list as a whole to that.

Is this something the geysertimes developers are interested in? If so will be happy to have you contact me off-list and see if I can be of any help in the effort.

GRB