[Geysers] Details for July 25, 2012 Fan & Mortar

Cynthia Barwin cynthia.barwin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:02:06 PDT 2012

Resending... Apologies if it becomes a duplicate submission.

On July 25, 2012, I took up watch of the Angle show at 0710.

1008 - last Angle splash, then quiet for 4 minutes
1010 - River & Gold  on
1011 - River & Gold  off
1012 - Angle splash (last one)
1013 - River on
1014 - Gold on
1015 - River & Gold off
1022 - first water seen in Main Vent
1036 - River on (Main continues to show water)
1047 - River off (Main continues to show water)
1054-  River on (Main continues to show water)
1055 - Bottom Vent on (no end time noted)
1101 - River off (Main continues to show water)
1109 - last water seen in Main.  It was apparent that water levels in Main
were high based on splash volume.  At least one splash broke over the wall
into East Vent.
1114 - River on
1117 - Gold on
1118 - Angle on
1124 - water levels were outstanding and an eruption looked imminent
1126 - Lock!  Buckle up & Hold on!
1131 - Fan & Mortar
1145 - approximate end of the overall eruption without noting when the
individual vents quit playing

Wind direction was not favorable for viewing the eruption up close without
getting wet.  Water drenched onlookers from the far side of the bridge to
just past Spiteful.  Several volleys of water reached Norris Pool.  Just
before the eruption, I was standing on the boardwalk between Mortar and Fan
and saw a significant surge of water in Main and Lower Mortar filled its
bowl with a rush.  Main and East Vent were nearly simultaneous in starting
the eruption and both Upper and Lower Mortar were mere seconds after.  Late
in the eruption, from a location down by Spiteful, I observed East Vent
ejecting a number of large rocks.  By large, I'd compare the size with
bricks and half cinder blocks.

1148 - Main & East restart #1
1151 - Main & East restart #2
1153 - Main & East restart #3
1155 - Main & East restart #4
1158 - Main & East restart #5 - water & steam mix
1201 - Main & East restart #6 - wisps of water, heavy steam
1208 - Main & East - steam

respectfully submitted by
Cynthia Barwin