[Geysers] geyser report Monday, August 20, 2012

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 12:29:03 PDT 2012

The smoke (as well as the odor) is heavier today.  No red sun rising
visible thru the smoke and once up in the sky it was just a  hazy spot
against the gray-white skies.  Nevertheless the geysers played on!

First I am attaching a current photo of the gravel cone by the Castle bridge.

I was home before noon!

Fan & Mortar: 0903--mortar start after an atypical (at least until
recently) fast start.  No main vent splashing, some heavy steam from
upper mortar, then into a strong high vent eruption leading to lock
and the eruption.  I barely made it from Castle on my bike, peddling
hard from Jim Schierer's first call that High Vent had begun jetting
upward.  That makes 3 fast starts in a row!   Interval since last
eruption (8/12 at 1514)7 days, 17hrs, 49 minutes, if my math is correct.

Beehive: 0805
Beehive's indicator: 0747ns
Grand: 0840 T1C, 0220E [yesterday electronic was 2015E]
Plume: 0623, 0736
Little Cub ie @ 0723, 0804
Castle: 0642 (0635E) major after an overnight minor
West Triplet: 0735ie
Daisy: 0723
Riverside: 0622ns
Grotto and Grotto Fountain ie @ 0204
Rocket major: 0803ie

I stopped at Fountain until after the first Morning's Thief at 1053.

Sun AM temp was 29 degrees, high 70's coming home.  This AM was high 40's.

Barbara Lasseter