[Geysers] North Goggles Major and Goggles Spring -- 4/22/2012 @ 1950

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 14:09:54 PDT 2012

A portion of what Jeff Cross wrote regarding the depth of UGB/Geyser Hill
sinter, the location of possible reservoirs, and etc., is as follows:

I've  always wondered what the boundary between the deepest sinter and the
bedrock  of Geyser Hill looks like. This was the surface across which the
first hot  spring waters flowed when Geyser Hill began to form. Today, that
surface is  doubtless buried deep beneath the surface. But how deep?

It's also  occurred to me that the sinter-bedrock plane could be a good
place to form a  large, open cavity that could serve as a geyser reservoir, and
that the  ejection of rocks from this level would be a process that would
form such a  cavity.
In reply, I submit this:

I sincerely doubt that there are reservoirs of any size located at or  near
the "boundary" between surface sinter and any underlying sediments. Reason:
 that interface is simply not "buried deep beneath the surface." In all
known  cases, the thickness of sinter is only a few feet (when there is any at
all).  (As for the case in point around North Goggles Geyser, I'd bet the
thickness is  a handful of feet at most and there most definitely is no
reservoir  there.)

I submit the data (only for holes actually drilled within thermal areas in
the Firehole Basins), taken from White, et al. ("Physical Results of
Research  Drilling...", USGS Professional Paper 892):

Hole number/location/sinter thickness in feet/underlying strata

Carnegie 1 (Fenner, 1929)/Myriad Group/~7 (20 according to Allen and
Day)/cemented and altered sand and gravel
Y-1/ Black Sand (Whistle)/11.5/obsidian rich sediment, generally zeolitized
 and cemented
Y-2/Firehole Lake/33.5 including travertine/altered sand, gravel and  tuff
Y-3/Ojo Caliente/none/altered silt, sand and gravel
Y-4/Nez Perce quarry/none/rhyolite flow at surface
Y-5/Rabbit Creek (old dump)/none/sand and gravel
Y-7/Biscuit parking, north end/5.5/partly altered and cemented silt, sand
and gravel
Y-8/Biscuit near Rusty/~5/cemented sand and gravel
Y-13/Porcupine Hills/7/glacial sand and gravel

The balance of evidence is that there are NO large, open reservoirs
anywhere in a geyser's system. Certainly, there are some more-or-less open
channels, but apparently most of a geyser's (indeed, a thermal area's)
"reservoir" is permeable rock that can be hundreds, perhaps thousands, of feet  below
the surface.

Scott Bryan

P.S. And definitely, thanks for the video, Jake.