[Geysers] North Goggles Major and Goggles Spring -- 4/22/2012 @ 1950

JEFFREY CROSS jeff.cross at utah.edu
Tue Apr 24 05:11:11 PDT 2012

Is North Goggles throwing out debris?

In 1994(?), I was intrigued by some rocks I found lying next to the trail in front of North Goggles.  At first, I thought that they were pieces of asphalt that some thoughtless person had thrown into the geyser, and which the geyser had recently thrown out during a major eruption.  Since the rocks were close enough to the trail to pick up, I thought that perhaps they should be removed to prevent another thoughtless person from throwing them back into North Goggles.  With the rocks in hand, I was about to hurl them into the woods when I noticed that they weren't asphalt at all.  They were made of obsidian sand cemented by sinter.  Since I cannot think of any place on or near Geyser Hill where these rocks are exposed at the surface, it's possible that the rocks were thrown out of North Goggles, and that they originated in strata buried deeply beneath the surface.

I've always wondered what the boundary between the deepest sinter and the bedrock of Geyser Hill looks like.  This was the surface across which the first hot spring waters flowed when Geyser Hill began to form.  Today, that surface is doubtless buried deep beneath the surface.  But how deep?

It's also occurred to me that the sinter-bedrock plane could be a good place to form a large, open cavity that could serve as a geyser reservoir, and that the ejection of rocks from this level would be a process that would form such a cavity.  It could explain groups of geysers like the Pink Cone Group, where all the geyser eruptions seem to be of similar magnitude.  Perhaps the sinter in the Pink Cone Group is of uniform thickness, and the geysers that erupt from vents in that sinter all have reservoirs at the same depth, specifically at the location where the sinter meets the bedrock?

Notably, a reservoir lying at the junction of the sinter and the bedrock cannot be invoked in all cases.  Steamboat Geyser is a notable example of a geyser that erupts directly from the bedrock, and many other similar examples exist to demonstrate that thick layers of sinter are not necessary for a geyser's plumbing system to form.

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at utah.edu