[Geysers] 9/11 geyser memory

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:41:39 PDT 2011

(MODERATOR: please use discretion. If you feel this is inappopriate, please don't post.)
(TOM AND GENEAN: You may include this in the October issue of the Sput, if you feel it is appropriate.)

I was also in Yellowstone on 9/11/2001.  My logbook shows that I saw an eruption of White Dome at 09:06.  The next note in my logbook is "full security alert" and a telephone number.  I was at Great Fountain when I heard over the scanner that the Park had been placed on top level security alert, but I didn't hear a reason for the alert.  The next note in my logbook is "elk bugling"--one of the traditional sounds of fall.  Then I began to hear rumors from visitors and tour guides about airplanes and the Twin Towers.  The first rumors I heard mentioned possible death tolls of 50,000 people, so I had difficulty believing the rumors.  As Andrew noted, it was a sunny day with clear blue sky and warm temperatures, so a tragedy of that magnitude was simply unimaginable.

I waited until Great Fountain had finished its eruption so I could post the next prediction, then drove to the Lower Ham's parking lot, arriving about 11 am.  A tour guide from Jackson was sitting in the parking lot listening to the radio in his vehicle and confirmed for me that airplanes had hit the Twin Towers and the Pentagon.  I stayed in the parking lot, trying to glean additional information about the terrorist attacks until I walked to the overlook to watch the 12:12 eruption of Beehive.

I also avoided the television in the Bear Pit.  However, I did see some footage on the computer monitor when I went into the Old Faithful Visitor Center that evening to transcribe logbooks, do the Old Faithful predictions until dark, and answer visitor questions using the "ice cream" window.  Many of the questions I got that evening related to airplane flights--would theirs home depart as scheduled, or would it be cancelled.  And, if flights were being cancelled, how long would the cancellations last.  I felt quite ineffectual that evening since I simply did not have answers for people.

Over the next few days I met several individuals who were making unscheduled trips to Yellowstone.  In some cases their flights had been cancelled so they had rented cars to travel to their destinations and decided to visit Yellowstone on their way.  In other cases cancellation of their flights had left them with extra "vacation" days so they had chosen to spend those days in Yellowstone.

As a side note--My son, Kirk, was married on 9/11/1999.  Kirk and Jen had originally chosen a different date for the wedding, but couldn't get both the church and hotel where they wanted to hold the reception on that date.  When the date was changed to September 11, Kirk said he'd have no problem remembering the date of their anniversary since it was 9-1-1.  After 9/11/2001, he had another reason for not forgetting the date.  They had planned a trip to Paris for their second anniversary, but the trip was cancelled due to the attacks.

I stayed in Yellowstone until September 23, so was isolated from much of the trauma associated with 9/11.

Lynn Stephens