[Geysers] Fan & Mortar details, 9/9/11

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 11:12:46 PDT 2011

My apologies for not posting sooner; I did not have much internet access while I was in Yellowstone.  Fan & Mortar erupted at 0039 on September 9, 2011.  Here are the details.

Cynthia Barwin called an event cycle shortly before sunset.  After that, F&M had normal cycles for about 3 hours.  Then, during a quiet period, Main Vent began to roar gently.  The events progressed as follows:

September 8

~2330 Main Vent roaring gently
2338 River on, Main Vent continues to roar
2347 River off, River pause
2347 Main Vent splash, there may have been water before this but I couldn't see well enough
2351 River on, Main Vent continued to splash

September 9

0000 River off, double River pause, more Main Vent splashing
0007 River on
0023 Gold on
0028 Angle on, water levels look good
0033 Lock
0039 FAN AND MORTAR

The eruption was moonlit, though we did use flashlights some of the time.  We saw a flashlight approaching during the lock and thought maybe some gazers had decided to come down, but it was two visitors.  Once the eruption started they came and watched for a minute or two, but then left when their friends called them to tell them that Grand was erupting.  The duration was 33 minutes.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com