[Geysers] Quick Trip Report 10-30-11 to 11-1-11

Stephen Eide stepheneide at cableone.net
Tue Nov 1 21:12:05 PDT 2011

Greetings and Salutations,

For those who are going to be here for closing weekend here are a few
odds and ends.  Unfortunately I have not been to West Thumb, or Norris
yet.  We had a snow storm last night so the roads on the East side of
the park were closed today.  Also the Firehole loop.  We hope it will
be opened later, but who knows?  Pink Cone was doing intervals just
under 24 hours.  Gemini was active on and off.  Since they are leaving
the supports out there, I think they will put in a new boardwalk to
Artesia this spring but I have no proof of that.

Fountain intervals appear to have lengthed a bit to an average of
about 6.5 hours.  I don't know if I mentioned last month but Little
Brother is no longer erupting.  Plume intervals continue to be over an
hour.  No Penta's this week but there have been several Tardy cycles.

Today in the morning West Triplet was in overflow in the morning when
I walked by and again in the afternoon.  This is like it was the last
few springs except it has not changed color.  It was erupting normally
yesterday.  So far I have seen nothing from Bulger's hole but Bulger
has been active.  Daisy has been in the 2 hr 40 minute to 3 hour range
over the last few days.  Riverside was doing mostly longs but this
afternoon it did a very short interval.  It erupted at 1057 and I saw
it again at 1636ie.  I was at F & M but did not expect it so soon so I
missed the start.

At Fan and Mortar I have had one event cycle with splashing in Main
Vent the last two days.  It was on 10-31-11 and started with Main Vent
at 1028.  River started at 1029 then stoped at 1037 for a River pause.
Splashing in Main Vent was from 1028 until 1041.  River was back on at
1041.  Angle, High and Gold all came on in that order at 1050.  The
water levels were average for about five minutes then wimped out.