[Geysers] Short geyser report

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Wed May 25 18:53:29 PDT 2011

This post is for the personal use of the readers of this listserv and is not to be reproduced for any other purpose, including publication in the Sput.

I timed a few eruptions of Jewel the other morning, with about 11 minute intervals.  Bill Warnock stopped by my pickup yesterday and said he had gotten 12 minute interval(s) on Jewel.

I saw three consecutive eruptions of Flood today.  The first was ie, duration more than four minutes.  The second and third had durations of about 6 minutes.  There were no minor or intermediate eruptions between the three major eruptions.  Intervals were about 45 and 55 minutes.

I spent a lot of time at Fountain today, confirming lack of bubbling activity from Morning's Thief and eruptions of Bearclaw after Fountain's eruption.  We had two daylight eruptions today, separated by an 8 1/2 hour window, which was nice.  The overnight double interval averaged just a little over 10 1/2 hours.

Durations of Fountain continue to be about 35 minutes.  The one thing that has surprised me with these longer levels is that the water level in Fountain remains low--generally not visible to me while standing on the boardwalk or at the overlook.  Yesterday morning on the 13 1/2 hour interval, a man from the Czech Republic and his female companion stayed out there with me for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the snow and rainstorm, even though they only had two days in the Park.  He was at least a foot taller than I am.  He could see the water level and watched is slowly creep up a couple inches or so.  I could barely see the water level.  It was at least two feet below the rim just before Fountain erupted and was not out the neck at all.

Spasm durations to date have been bimodal.  Most are 15-25 minutes, but I've also had four durations of about 40-45 minutes.  So far these long duration eruptions are the last eruption of Spasm prior to Fountain's eruption.  From May 19-22 I only saw short duration eruptions and the last eruption prior to Fountain was a short duration eruption.  Starting 5/23 I began seeing long duration eruptions as the last eruption before Fountain.  Of course, now that I've written this, things will change, as often seems to happen once I report something.

The librarian just told me he's turning off the router, so I have to send this.

Lynn