[Geysers] geyser report for Th 5-19-11

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Thu May 19 16:54:38 PDT 2011

Today was more cloud than sun, but no rain fell near me.  It was windy
and cold, despite starting out 10 degrees warmer than yesterday.

I need to correct yesterday's 1257 Grand--I said T2Q and it should
have been T2*Q.

I have seen a Madison eagle on 3 occasions on various trees in the
vicinity of the nest, but never on the nest.  Also saw a swan this
afternoon in the Madison 1/2mi E of 7 mile bridge.   There was a white
snowshoe hare seen between Artemisia and E Sentinel.

Beehive: 0518ie
Plume: 0716
1 little cub at 646ie
Grand: 0825 T2*Q (2 min 25sec 2nd burst)
W Triplet 0841  d=3min
Rift and Penta were overnight  (Yes, much of this is Jim Scheirer's
data--Thanks, Jim)
Castle had minored overnight, but was reported to have been
post-eruptive by 1300.
Daisy 0706
Grotto: 551ie and apparently still ie after noon
Churn: 0548

After Grand, I headed for Fountain and parked in the pullout N of the
basin.  Clepsydra was on when I arrived, but shut off while I was
arranging my seat and gear, so I headed back to the UGB, parking at
Biscuit and hiking up to Artemisia.
I did nor hear any eruption calls after leaving Grand, but there seem
to be very few gazers around.

Artemisia reported as 2000 last night by another gazer, and water
levels were good when I arrived about 1030.  Atomizer had minors at
1038 and 1241, followed by a major at 1409.  I used that as an excuse
to bail out for the warmer terrain of home.  The cold wind was cutting
through me.

A group of young people couldn't decide if the marmot was a muskrat or
a beaver.  One wondered if it laid eggs.  No, they did not appear to
be elementary school students.

Yesterday they were taking down snow poles along the bike path.  Still
no bike rack at Castle this AM, but the lower store is to open at 1P
tomorrow, I hear.  The USA Today paper dispenser was installed this AM
behind a snowbank.  Parking in the lower lot is congested with what I
assume to be overflow from the Inn--the back lot still has lots of
snow.

The unfavorable weather forecasts keep moving another day ahead, and
so far each day has been better than forecast.

Barbara Lasseter