[Geysers] "Nifty" Geyser

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 06:38:08 PDT 2011

I think the name "Nifty" was named in 1989 or 1990 by Matt Tennis.

Lynn Stephens

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:02:26 -0600
Subject: Re: [Geysers] "Nifty" Geyser
From: stepheneide at cableone.net
To: geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu

Hello Pat,

Nifty has been pretty active the last few springs, it seems to be more active when the Sawmill system is in Penta-Churn mode but that is not required.  It can erupt for over an hour several times a day when it is very active.  I think (like Old Tardy) it usually erupts when the rest of the system is in drain.  The times I remember it erupting I also remember Oval Pool being low.  Also, the when Nifty is erupting the new hole between Nifty and the boardwalk (to the northeast) steams and you can hear if gurgle in the hole.  This hole looks like a buffalo broke through the ground but it may have other origins.  I don't remember how old Nifty is, maybe someone else has that data.

Steve Eide