[Geysers] 23 and 24 June 2011 Geyser Observations

Mary Beth Schwarz schwarzmb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 17:39:10 PDT 2011

     From evening of 23 June 2011, Kitt had the following:

     Artemisia  1941ie

     Grand 2043

     Beehive 2150

     From 24 June, my first day in the UGB this year:

     Aurum  1043, 1446

     Beehive's Indicator  1015

     Beehive  1033

     Daisy  0539,  0812,  1057,  1326ie

     Depression  0936

     Grand  0337Elec,  1328 (N/T1Q)

     Oblong  0548ie,  1145ie

     Little Squirt  1445ie

     Riverside  0618,  1206

     Penta tried to start a couple of times and finally had a mixed-phase
eruption at 1353ie.  Thanks to the gazers keeping an eye on it.  Scott
Grisso said the first three minutes were mostly water and it had more steam
after that.

     My two thrills for the day other than a beautiful Grand with sun after
several rain showers were

          _Churn_ at  1256,  1318, and 1340ne (Kitt caught it during Grand).
   After Grand we hoped for another Churn, but I thought that the Sawmill
group had risen too high preparing for the next cycle and that Churn was
unlikely so I left.

           _Sputnik_ at 1148 (d<1m),  1219 -- the first eruptions of Sputnik
seen this year.  When Kitt and I arrived to wait for Grand, Jim was watching
steaming at Sputnik.

     As always, thanks to all the gazers who provided times from yesterday
and today.  The list includes Scott Grisso, Kitt, Jim, Brian, Polly, Tara,
Greg Gushwa, Bill and Carol Beverly, and others.  Thanks to the OFVEC Ranger
who did the download for the early morning Grand to confirm Jim's estimate.
Forgive me if I left anyone out or misspell names as I am still challenged
by the altitude.  (As someone pointed out to me, after a few more days I
will have to think of other excuses.)  We appreciate all the times that are
called and given to put into the OF log book.

     As I drove in today around 0600 there was a herd of bison moving on the
road toward Fountain Flat from south of the Firehole Canyon entrance.  A
truck and I slipped past them since they were on the outgoing from OF side
of the road.  There are still some bison along the Madison River who will
have to move to Fountain Flat area, and I hope we do not have to follow
them.

     Mary Beth Schwarz